Friday, February 22, 2013

Excellent article on EMDR . . .

Dear Readers,

Following is a link to an excellent article on EMDR:  http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/expert-answers-on-e-m-d-r/.  The content of this article is the transcription of an interview with the woman, Dr. Francine Shapiro, who developed EMDR in the first place and who has devoted much of her life to researching the effects of the therapy and refining the methodology. 

I have experienced the relief that comes with EMDR, and I know the therapy does what it is supposed to do--reduce the emotional content of the trauma experience while at the same time allowing the memory of the traumatic incident to remain intact.  I can remember the incidents now without experiencing the horrible emotions I had associated with the memories.  Unfortunately, my experience with EMDR has not been consistent because I have had to change therapists so often, and I'm hoping to do more extensive EMDR work with my present therapist so as to reduce the emotional impact of the remaining trauma material. 

Hang in there!  Put one foot in front of the other, and you will get there!  Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment