Thursday, November 22, 2012

Flashback Healing: A Brief Note

When I looked at my stats today, I noticed a new search term, "flashback healing." Somebody was searching for information on how to get rid of flashbacks, evidently.  I don't know if that person will visit my site again, but there is information on healing flashbacks on my Word Press site:  http://relievingptsdsymptoms.wordpress.com/  I wrote about this topic in some of my earlier articles.

In short, I have not had a flashback since I began Ego State Therapy, the first stage of therapy with my present therapist.  Before beginning Ego State Therapy work, I often had flashbacks when riding the city bus.  Usually the flashbacks were brought on by loud, angry voices--a passenger arguing with the bus driver, for example.  Since working with E.S.T., however, I no longer have the problem.  It's possible that under extreme stress or distress, my problem could return, so I can't say that I'll never have another flashback.  But for now, I've been flashback-free for two years.  

That does not mean, though, that my PTSD symptoms are gone.  I still get spacy, numb out, and have some other mild symptoms, but I have not had a flashback for two years.  Without flashbacks, I can function well in my everyday life, so I'm a happy camper.  Flashbacks truly made my life difficult and caused me to be reluctant to leave my apartment.  I'm glad to be free from them.

I hope that the work in EMDR will turn down the intensity of ALL my PTSD symptoms!  However, life without flashbacks is a huge improvement by itself.  Therapy works, at least it's working for me, so if you are experiencing severe PTSD symptoms that are making your life difficult, then you, too, might get relief from therapy.  It's well worth a try.  See my previous post to find a web site that will direct you to competent therapists.  

Enjoy a peaceful and happy Thanksgiving!     Jean

 


No comments:

Post a Comment